Monday, February 16, 2015

GV-106 "Razorback"


A replica of the Razorback from Just Cause 2. Features R/C drive, steering, turret rotation, and gun elevation, plus lights.

The idea for this model came about while preparing for BrickCon 2014. I wanted to build a small model using these tires, and while replaying Just Cause 2, I came up with the idea to rebuild my favorite vehicle in that game. After a few design sketches on graph paper to get the layout for all the functions, the Razorback's chassis was born.


After building the very compact chassis, I made an LDD model and postponed the project for a later date, as I had other plans for BrickCon. Then, a contest was posted on Eurobricks, with the restriction of 4 motor outputs (either 2 receivers or 1 SBrick). This fit perfectly with the Razorback's specifications, so I rebuilt the chassis and got busy with the bodywork. Just a day before the contest ended, I finished the model.


The model's final dimensions were 27 x 17 x 16 studs, which is without a doubt the smallest model I've built with this many features. As a result of the small size, I had to use only 4 M-Motors to power all the functions, which meant a mess of wiring underneath. As for the functions themselves, they were very reliable, and nothing seemed too slow or too fast. I was also pleased that I could add lights to this model and integrate them well with the bodywork.


The one shortcoming of this model is its bodywork, which is somewhat to be expected given my small collection of non-Technic pieces. On the other hand, I was happy with my integration of the receivers and battery pack into the bodywork, as I often leave these until the very end. Also, the small size of the model really limited what I could do with the front end while still retaining some of the Razorback's defining characteristics.

You can find the full gallery of pictures here, and below is a short video demonstrating the functions. Thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment