Saturday, August 9, 2014

1968 Mustang


My most realistic model to date. Features accurate suspension, detailed interior, and full R/C.


Features:
 - R/C drive and steering with working steering wheel
 - Front dual a-arm suspension with advanced geometry and sway bar
 - Rear leaf spring suspension with sway bar
 - Detailed interior with adjustable seats and opening console box
 - Opening hood, doors, and trunk

Ever since the conception of this project, the underlying goal was always accuracy. Accurate suspension, accurate driveline, and accurate looks. I think I've accomplished all three to the best of my abilities (and parts collection).

Suspension
The majority of the Mustang's front suspension was built back in February, in the first attempt at building this model. It ended up being the only successful part of the first iteration, as the rear suspension failed (broken leaf springs). During my rebuild in July, I added in an anti-roll bar (sway bar) and simplified the design a little, resulting in the following suspension features:


The rear suspension went through 3 total reworks. The first version, again built in February, used custom leaf springs which ended up failing (both leaf springs broke, and in different places). The second version (pictured below, left column) was much stronger and used 14L leaf springs, but was too stiff and bulky. The third and final version (below, right column) used 16L leafs and was much smoother, and I later added a sway bar as well.


When the model was completed, the front suspension ended up being slightly too soft, so I added two yellow rubber bands. It works flawlessly now, but just in case, the front end can be removed to do repairs.



Driveline
When I built the first chassis in February, the steering system was slightly too bulky. As a result, I couldn't fit the drive motors under the hood, so the motor had to be positioned in a very non-realistic place:


When I rebuilt the chassis, I made the steering system slightly more compact, which allowed me to place not one, but two L-motors under the hood. This made it so all the motors, drive and steering, are in the front of the car. The real Mustang, of course, has a front mounted engine, and its power steering is around there too.



It's also worth mentioning here that my Mustang model has a working steering wheel, and the battery box is positioned where the fuel tank would be in a real Mustang. It's also (relatively) easy to remove, which is nice for charging.


Looks
The hardest part of any model, for me at least, is always the bodywork/detailing, and the Mustang provided its fair share of challenges. The front end was very important to reproduce, as this is one of the most iconic parts of a Mustang. With a few of #3 connectors and some System parts, I was able to reproduce the grill (and the rest of the front, of course).


As shown above, the hood can be opened, revealing nothing too spectacular. However, the hood mechanism itself is another element of accuracy, as it's modeled after a real hood linkage:


The Mustang's cabin design also proved to be a challenge, especially with the goal of accuracy. In the end, the cabin featured a working steering wheel, opening doors, fully adjustable front seats, and an opening console box.


Finally, the rear end. This was also a fairly iconic portion of the Mustang, and it took a combination of System and Technic to get it right. In the end, the trunk opens, which has a knob for power and a knob for the power output. I was intending to use the second knob to control light brightness, but I ended up not including lights in this model (to keep the wiring as simple as possible).


Conclusion
The 1968 Mustang project was definitely a challenge, especially with the goal of accuracy I set for myself. However, despite the challenges, the Mustang is definitely one of my best creations and a creation I am proud of. Here is a video of it in action:



More pictures can be found on Flickr or on Brickshelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment